Skyler Cohen (COS ’25) is a third year Behavioral Neuroscience student who went on the Food and Culture in Cambodia and Vietnam Dialogue of Civilizations (DOC). Skyler was able to take advantage of the Honors Global Bank Account to financially support his experience.

“The Honors Global Bank Account gave me a chance to go on a DOC where I got to experience the vibrant culture and food of Cambodia. One of my fondest memories from the trip was during the first week. I found myself strolling down the deserted sidewalks of Siem Reap, Cambodia, my arm joints aching from the weight of my laundry. Despite the recent lifting of COVID-19 tourism restrictions, the city bore an eerie stillness, and I felt like the only one on the broad stone sidewalks at noon. As I approached a family-run laundry parlor, a short man with straight black hair and a creased forehead approached me, his friendly demeanor putting my initial uncertainty at ease. He turned out to be a tuk tuk driver offering tours around the region, and he asked me if I wanted to go to the countryside. Although I had some initial hesitation going to the countryside with a stranger, the next day, my roommate and I embarked on the man’s tuk tuk, leaving the paved streets for bumpy dirt roads. To my surprise, we ended up at the driver’s family home, where I witnessed the challenges they faced due to the lack of tourism. Despite financial hardships, the driver’s genuine enthusiasm, warmth of his family, and delicious coconuts he shared with us left a lasting impression, making me appreciate the authenticity of human connections formed during unexpected journeys.

What other activities are you involved in on campus?

• Research in Dr. Gabrieli-Whitfield’s lab, which works to find ways to detect psychiatric illnesses early
  • Education Officer for NU’s Doctors Without Borders chapter
  • Playing IM, broom-ball, and soccer

What events or activities would you recommend to new Honors students?

I’ve met so many new people playing intramural sports. Definitely recommend it to find new friends and stay active.